Saturday, August 30, 2008

What do I do about a landlord that won't fix anything?

In response to a comment, in Arizona, and likely in most states, the statutory law gives the tenant a number of remedies. These include some self help, such as fixing the item with an offset to rent, or avoiding the lease, meaning being able to move without breaking the lease. In my experience, in most cases these types of the remedies are really no benefit to the renter or lessee. Most larger cities have a rental assistance office. You can get a copy of the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act from the Arizona Secretary of State's Website:

In Phoenix you can call Emergency Evictions Assistance helps individuals with Crisis landlord/tenant assistance for individuals. They are located at 1112 E. Buckeye Road, Phoenix, Arizona 85034 and their phone number is 602-257-0700. There are similar agencies in other larger cities across the country.

No comments: